Pulled Taffy Experiment

We wanted to make pulled taffy and we had fun, but we also failed. We found four recipe’s online and tried two of them. The first recipe we tried was from Accidental Scientist. We read the “science of cooking” notes that were with the recipe.

So first we got the ingredients and put them in and stirred. We were supposed to only go up to 170F but we watching closely and it went up to 181F. We also split it into two flavors after cooking because my friend was here so that messed it up a lot. We put it on a cookie sheet and it got so hard we could not even get to pull it. It also tasted really bad because we put to much flavoring. We looked at what we did wrong and decided to try again.

20140114-161717.jpg

This time we used Alton Brown recipe and cooked it to a lower temperature. We watched it very very closely! This time we actually got to pulled it but after a while it got hard to pull. We are guessing that we either pulled it to much or we pulled it to little. We tried cutting it with scissors but that didn’t really work so we hit it with a hammer and now its little chunks of rock candy.

20140114-161729.jpg